[PD] audio drop-outs when resizing tables??

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Aug 19 22:26:53 CEST 2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Well, me, I think it's better to preallocate the table objects to a size
> at least as large as will be needed, in advance.

Most language implementations nowadays distinguish between "capacity" and
"size", which is a kind of "physical vs logical" opposition (in old
computer jargon). That is, from a usage point of view, the array may look
small, but it has a guarantee to be able to grow forward and/or grow back
by certain amounts. That way an array can signify the actual size of data
while preallocating all that will ever be needed; though in almost all
cases this is done for other reasons instead.