[PD] Do [singleton]s get loadbangs?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Sep 3 21:38:08 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to use [singleton] from [sssad] so that I
> can instantiate some lookup tables once and only once for use in
> multiple patches.
>
> The [singleton] help patch is a bit cryptic, but I've so far guessed
> that I can wrap the table-creating object like so:
>
> [singleton WTAB waveTables]

That's correct. Sorry about the cryptic help file, I'll make a better
one.

> It appears that the tables are correctly allocated by this, but they are
> not initialized; i.e. the arrays are created, but the code that fills
> them in is not triggered, even though there is a [loadbang] in
> [waveTables] that's supposed to trigger it.
>
> So my question is first, am I even close to using [singleton]
> correctly?  and secondly, do objects created by [singleton] get a loadbang?

They don't get a loadbang, because they are dynamically created.
Dynamically created abstractions don't execute their loadbangs!

It's possible to trigger the loadbang manually with a message to the
subpatch, the objects are created in. For singleton.pd this subpatch's
receiver is is pd-$0-container. Attached is a version of singleton
which automatically sends a loadbang message to it. After I get over
my jetlag, I'll consider making this the default in sssad's version of
singleton.pd as well. Also it may be useful to send the value of $0 to
an outlet, maybe the first one, but that may break patches which rely
on only a 0 or a 1 coming out there, so I guess I'll have to introduce
a second outlet.

Ciao