[PD] hid[io] and CUI

Echo Ho pidi at echoho.at
Wed Sep 5 10:18:14 CEST 2007

Hi Hans and all,

we hookes up a bunch of sensors&switches to a CUI device (http://
www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano/CUI/) and are now trying to get it read by PD.
While it basically does work, we are stuck with 2 issues:

using the HID Object, it keeps posting messages of this kind:
	output this: DESKTOP DESKTOP64 83 prev 83
	output this: DESKTOP DESKTOP64 88 prev 83
	output this: DESKTOP DESKTOP66 235 prev 235
	output this: DESKTOP DESKTOP65 5 prev 11
	output this: DESKTOP DESKTOP64 90 prev 83
which is not more than annoying for the debug process. How is it
possible to switch this off?

The other issue is how to find the correct names for the different
analog inputs. they enumerate as follows in PD/HID:
> [hid] opened device 5: Overtone CUI IN v1.0
> [hid] storing absolute axis to poll Miscellaneous Input, X-Axis
> (0x0001 0x0030)
> 	logical min 0 max 1023
> [hid] storing absolute axis to poll Miscellaneous Input, Y-Axis
> (0x0001 0x0031)
> [hid] could not dequeue element
> 	logical min 0 max 1023
> [hid] storing absolute axis to poll Miscellaneous Input, Z-Axis
> (0x0001 0x0032)
> [hid] could not dequeue element
> 	logical min 0 max 1023
> [hid] storing absolute axis to poll Miscellaneous Input, X-Rotation
> (0x0001 0x0033)
> [hid] could not dequeue element
> 	logical min 0 max 1023
> [hid] storing absolute axis to poll Miscellaneous Input, Y-Rotation
> (0x0001 0x0034)
> [hid] could not dequeue element
> 	logical min 0 max 1023
> [hid] storing absolute axis to poll Miscellaneous Input, Z-Rotation
> (0x0001 0x0035)
> [hid] could not dequeue element
> 	logical min 0 max 1023
> [hid] storing absolute axis to poll Miscellaneous Input, Slider
> (0x0001 0x0036)
> [hid] could not dequeue element
> 	logical min 0 max 1023
> [hid] storing absolute axis to poll Miscellaneous Input, Dial
> (0x0001 0x0037)
> [hid] could not dequeue element

and like this in SuperCollider/HidDeviceService:
> [ Overtone, CUI IN v1.0, 2341, 4761, 1024458752 ]
> [ Collection, GamePad, 1, 0, 0 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, X-Axis, 2, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Y-Axis, 3, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Z-Axis, 4, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, X-Rotation, 5, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Y-Rotation, 6, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Z-Rotation, 7, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Slider, 8, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Dial, 9, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, X-Velocity, 10, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Y-Velocity, 11, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Z-Velocity, 12, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, X-Rotation Velocity, 13, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Y-Rotation Velocity, 14, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Miscellaneous Input, Z-Rotation Velocity, 15, 0, 1023 ]
> [ Output, Joystick, 16, 0, 255 ]
> [ Output, Joystick, 17, 0, 255 ]
> [ Output, Joystick, 18, 0, 255 ]
> [ Feature, GamePad, 19, 0, 255 ]
> [ Feature, GamePad, 20, 0, 255 ]
> [ Feature, GamePad, 21, 0, 255 ]

things like
abs_x abs_y abs_z abs_rx abs_ry abs_rz
do work, but for 'Sliders' and 'Dials' I dont know the name used in
HID. I wasnt able to find sufficient documentation on the object, so
now I need some help from the pros.

  (\   /)
  [- . - 猫earweego_sonicvision
  www.earweego.net