[PD] 2. Re: pdpedia URL structure

JNM jnm at rom.fr
Thu Sep 6 00:23:37 CEST 2007

>Marius wrote:

>Honestly, I think english is the language to use. who will translate pd
>help into chinese, russian, german, french, portuguese, spanish...

Many people....
  it's not a problem when the documentation is an open and collective
process and a permanent work-in-progress.
  Wikipedia shows that an open collaborative documentation can
interest many different communities. Other languages appear when
other communities or personnalities need the translations. That's the
force of an open source project.

For example: we have selected fifty basic objects to learn in our PD
evening-courses. For this fifty objects we will translate all the
fifty PDpedia pages (in french). Because we have a dozen PD
teatchers, and each PD teatchers can translate few pages. Because PD
students will have to translate some pages, as a gift to an open
source project. Because we don't teach in English.
  For our high-level PD workshops, we will translate many other
pdpedia object-pages. And we are a lot of classic or alternative
school to adopt PD instead of Max. In a few years, all 3000 PD
objects could be translated in french.
PDpedia should not be a classic documentation, but a permanent
encyclopedia of each object, a work in progress, a LIVING
documentation like wikipedia, because the process of changing a word
in a page is a matter of seconds and a few clics.

>Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>  Hey,
>>
>>  I've been doing some research on how to handle multiple languages for
>  > the pdpedia.  I am thinking of setting up the URL structure like this:

about the url structure, I think it's less important than the
facility to reach the localised page, like in wikipedia. That's one
of the reason why we started a rapid test with wikimedia engine
instead of another wiki engine
http://pdpedia.dreamhosters.com/index.php , because of the experience
in multilingual encyclopedy. ( and because all websurfers know the
clear interface of wikipedia)

ciao viva

JN