[PD] fundamentalism and macs in brasil... (Was: Why in Brasil and how?)

PORRES mentalosmosis at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 08:42:35 CEST 2007

> what would be the opposite of fundamentalist?

In a tricky way you could be a fundamentalist on the opposite side I suppose...

or maybe someone who doesnt mind too much on taking one "side", or sticking to one "belief". I think things tend to be more complex than "black or white"... but I dont see why the discussin needs to reach this anyway...

> the prize for a MacBook was 10612 brazilian real
> (about 5400$) to 2499$ + 200 tax in the US.

Hmm, I doubt, I'd say the ratio is closer to 3 to 1 (6.000 $ to 2.000$) but it must be considered that we get paid in "real", in a similar fashion (same number figures) than what someone is paid in US$, so 10.000 reais is not simply 5.000 US$... the convertion doesnt work like that and it means it is much more... pople also get paid really badly here... (hello... poor country). So if you consider paying 10.000 US$ on a macbook, it seems about right.

I just paid 2.200 US$ on the top line mac in the US, which is the amount of money I would pay in a reasonably good PC in Brasil, or even cheaper... considering that it is a great machine... so it was a nice deal...

> the majority of rich people believes: making the rich
> richer is good for everybody (at least that is how they
> vote all the time). the rest believes: helping as many
> people as possible to live a worthy life is good for
> everybody.

I do believe there is no simple answer, and even if a system states that it is based in some sort of ideal as democracy or freedom... it doesnt really mean it works that way in practice... I know I dont have the answers....

marius schebella <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote: glerm soares wrote:
> Hi folks.
> I didn't mean to be the annoying guy, "fundamentalist" or whatever.

what would be the opposite of fundamentalist?

why brazil? and how? why open source?

I just looked up the prize for a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 15inch in sao paulo
and it was 10612 brazilian real (about 5400$) the same macbook has a
regular prize of 2499$ + 200 tax in the US.

the majority of rich people believes: making the rich richer is good for
everybody (at least that is how they vote all the time).

the rest believes: helping as many people as possible to live a worthy
life is good for everybody.

I think a pd conv in brazil only makes sense, if it is in connection
with a knowledge flow and general (financial) flow/support from north to
south. it should encourage the local community and their work. like it
did in graz and montreal. there should be money from the european
community to support the relationship to south american countries.

marius.