[PD] pdpedia test sites Why ?

JNM jnm at rom.fr
Thu Sep 6 10:54:13 CEST 2007

>well there is quite many pd-related sites already, i thought
>
>why pdpedia is needed ?

As a primo-supporter of the idea in France, let
me try to explain. There are main reasons:

1/ there is no dictionnary or lexicon about the
3000 objects/externals/abstraction usable in PD.
Most of the ressources about those components are
spread over a hundred sites, and help patches are
not made to explain all about one component.

2/ the actual documentation is static. Once made,
(most of the time) by the developper and
published somewhere on the web, there are few
possibilities for the community to correct,
complete, translate or improve the quality of
this documentation.

  3/ the actual documentation is mainly in English
==> impossible to persuade some schools to use
open source software in many countries without
localised documentation ( I have seen this case
many times in France).

4/ most of the coders are not good documenters.
Sometimes they don't document ( exept the help
patch), because they don't like this work, or
because they don't know how to do it clean. The
pedagogic aspect of a documentation is important
for newbies. As in Wikipedia, everyone should
have the possibility to improve one of the 3000
components in a few clicks, and publish it
instantaneously to all the community.

5/ there is no tool to know which
object/external/abstraction is available for the
use people need for their patch. Learning the
3000 components needs a life or autistic
capacities. Pdpedia will have both a category
portal and a search engine.

------------

The pdpedia project is to build a
living/open/collective/multilingual encyclopedy
about each of the actual 3000 possible components
in a PD patch.
Each page of PDpedia can welcome many rubriques
as those we have published here for test last
year
http://pdpedia.dreamhosters.com/index.php?title=Menu
(not completed, and for test only)

Many advantages output from a wikipedia-like process:

-The users can be contributors of the documentation.
-The users can be translators of the documentation.
-The pdpedia file can be (automatically) embbeded
in each new pd release or nightly build giving
the possibility to have a complete doc offline.
-The pdpedia database can be easily edited in
paper or booklets with wikimedia tools.
-The pdpedia database server engine could in the
future "understand" text patches and translate
them into images.
-Reversely, a click on a patch image in your
browser could open the patch in PD ?

and many other possibilities. But for my opinion,
the main advantage is that the users collaborate
to make the best clear and useful documentation,
like in wikipedia.

JN

PS. just in case, the pdpedia.org DNS has been
bought for one year by our non-profit org last
october, and we offer it to PD community if
needed. Otherwise, the name will be automatically
deleted in one month.

Jean-Noël Montagné
http://www.artsens.org
http://www.craslab.org