[PD] small polyWaveSynth issue; udpdate available

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Sat Sep 8 05:46:57 CEST 2007

Hello everybody,

There is a load-order issue in [polyWaveSynth] (the synthesizer
abstraction I announced here the other day) that may cause minor
irritation -- it is nothing serious, the worst that will happen is that
some error messages like this may sully your console during initialization:

error tabread~: te_sine: no such array

...the synthesizer works perfectly fine after this, and there are no
harmful side-effects -- but it's a bit annoying.

 From what I can tell, this happens when DSP is already running, and the
wave tables, which are wrapped in Frank's loadbang-firing-[singleton],
are not initialized (or at least not finished initializing) before the
[tabread~] oscillators start.  The original patch had the singleton
object way down in the patch file, which made the error message
occurrence more likely.  (As an aside: is there a best-practice that
completely avoids this sort of load-order issue?)

To minimize the possibility of this happening, I've edited
[polyWaveSynth] so that the wave tables are loaded and initialized as
early as possible (I did this by selecting all the objects in
[polyWaveSynth] with cmd-A, then I de-selected the [lb_singleton ETABLES
erbeTables] object; finally I did a cut-paste - this makes the
[lb-singleton ...] object be the first object loaded).  If you want to
be absolutely sure it doesn't happen, don't switch on DSP until after
[polyWaveSynth] is completely loaded, but it shouldn't be necessary to
worry about this.

The updated patch is available in its archive here:
http://www.pkstonemusic.com/code/polyWaveSynth.tgz .  I've also attached
polyWaveSynth.pd which is the only diff, so you don't need to get the
whole archive if you already have it.

(web page for polyWaveSynth:
http://www.pkstonemusic.com/polyWaveSynth.html  -- hey, is *anybody*
using this?  I see it being downloaded, but I haven't heard any
feedback, except from Frank -- is it even working for anybody else??? )

Phil Stone
pkstonemusic.com