[PD] CONVENTION /// was Re: some images...

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 22:28:32 CEST 2007

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> I think that the most important thing Pd needs at the moment is to get
> away from sedimentary programming (that is, deposit more code on top of
> the existing code) and metamorphic programming (applying intense peer
> pressure on the sediment makes it harder), if you excuse my mineralogy
> metaphors...
>
> That's why we started getting into automatic testing (re: the last talk
> at pd convention)

I think that is true not only for code, but also for patches.
starting with a clear idea of what patches and parts of
patches/modules/externals should do and providing test cases makes
patches and even parts of them more useful for the public.
atm automatic testing is still very complicated to do (at least I would
not know how to write it). but testing could also be "manual". I really
like the idea to start patching with a help patch where the object
inlets and outlets and functions/features are defined before starting
with the external itself.
maybe that also would make patches more shareable...
marius.