[PD] my first extension, FINISHED

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Sep 10 10:09:21 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:04:43PM +0200, Steffen wrote:
> > This relates to your question. There is a tendency in thinking that
> > "objects" that can be build by using pure Pd object are better kept
> > build in pure Pd objects rather then coded as an external. That said,
> > it's not a universal truth. Taste, ease and/or speed are important
> > factors here.
>
> In this particular case of Andre's legato object, I see no positive
> reason whatsoever for it being an external. I see several positive
> reasons for it being an abstraction:
>
> 1. Anyone who knows how to make Pd patches can modify it.
> 2. It would run without modifications under anyone's Pd, instantly.
> 3. Nobody would need to compile anything.
> 4. It probably would have been quicker to make in Pd than in code.

Well, it's not really trivial to code the various mono-modes in Pd.
It's a bit easier with [list] now, but it involves lists that
constantly change their size (to buffer lists) which is something where
[list] will become slow for larger lists. So an external may still be
useful.

Anyway, coding it as abstraction is an interesting project. Any
takers?

Ciao