[PD] representning classes and selectors in the wiki

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 12 16:19:49 CEST 2007

marius schebella wrote:
> we have to talk about structure first.

true

> I am against category structure, because category is not always clear.

true

> I am also against library structure, because that is just an arbitrary
> structure for me, worse than categories.

well, but what is wrong with an arbitrary structure?
pd-development (i am talking about externals) is chaotic and arbitrary:
i think this is one of the strengths of the pd-community.

> for name clashes make a disambiguation page or directly jump to the

so we have a "counter" disambiguation page (let's assume it is called
"/counter"); what is the name of the maxlib counter page? "/counter"?
"/counter_when_you_have_maxlib"?? what is the name of the markEx counter
page? "markex_counter" ?? but there is no "markex_counter" object;
what's the difference to "pix_blob" (which _is_ an object)?

a directory-structure based on libraries is a defacto standard.

do you want to create an information resource or a standardization?

> object that is more in use and link to the other one with the same name.

right. and i decide. :-)

> I am TOTALLY against the word class or selector in any structure
> layout!!! totally confusing for 99% of the users.

i totally agree.

> have a look at http://maxobjects.com. that is basically it.
> but pdobjects will have a wiki underlying.

how does this relate to the structure?
example: [xplay~] (from xsample)
pd:
  http://wiki.puredata.info/xsample/xplay~
max:
  http://maxobjects.com/?v=objects&id_objet=1010

what is more confusing?

the important thing is to have a good search engine!

fmga.dr
IOhannes