[PD] representning classes and selectors in the wiki

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:57:22 CEST 2007

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> I am also against library structure, because that is just an arbitrary
>> structure for me, worse than categories.
> well, but what is wrong with an arbitrary structure?
> pd-development (i am talking about externals) is chaotic and arbitrary:

how stable is the library structure? if it is stable over several years,
then it could be arbitrary. but some objects jump around. from zexy to
iem (mtx?), from iemlib1 to iemlib (don't know if that is really the
case...) from iemlib to puredata core (gui)... from everywhere to
"flatspace".
why not keep a flat structure:
http://wiki.puredata.info/drunk

>> for name clashes make a disambiguation page or directly jump to the
>
> so we have a "counter" disambiguation page (let's assume it is called
> "/counter"); what is the name of the maxlib counter page? "/counter"?
> "/counter_when_you_have_maxlib"?? what is the name of the markEx counter
> page? "markex_counter" ?? but there is no "markex_counter" object;
> what's the difference to "pix_blob" (which _is_ an object)?

the title of the page does not represent the real name of the object
anyway. wiki does not support titles/pages starting with lowercase
letters. that means the real object name will be shown at some place
inside the page content. therefore we can call the page counter(markex)
which will show up as:
http://pdpedia.at.or.at/test/index.php/Counter_%28markex%29
or counter.maxlib. or maxlib.counter.

> a directory-structure based on libraries is a defacto standard.
>
> do you want to create an information resource or a standardization?

only information. therefor if structure helps the understanding like
(math/plus) then structure is good. but as I said before structure for
categories is not really possible, so better no structure...

>> object that is more in use and link to the other one with the same name.
>
> right. and i decide. :-)

well, yes. some objects are not maintained any more, some are
deprecated... for these objects we could jump to the recently used
object, for others, like counter, gate, we can have the disambiguation page.

>> have a look at http://maxobjects.com. that is basically it.
>> but pdobjects will have a wiki underlying.
>
> how does this relate to the structure?

it is not related to structure, but to the possibilities for searching
and displaying objects and libraries. and to page design.

> the important thing is to have a good search engine!

that was the reason why I did not want to go for the wiki at first. but
the wiki has more advantages on other points.

marius.