[PD] arpeggiator

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:17:52 CEST 2007

Hi

I normally run things from a sequencer (muse) and this also holds for my
current project. But I have a problem I'd like to solve with pd. I'd
like to have an arpeggiator running in sync with muse, representing a
few chords that's changing through the song.

My first thought was to have pd listen on two channels: all pressed
notes on one channel represent the current chord. Midi notes on the
other channel are only used as gate information. There should be a mode
switch with up, down, up/down, random (did I forget some?).

Ok, I could go on and do my second external (since I would be able to
write this up in C in no time), but I'm wondering:

1) Is there a similar wheel out there?

2) Would it be not-so-tricky to do as an abstraction? Newbie-me wouldn't
know how to a) hold onto a grab-bag of notes played on one channel and
b) select them according to the selected mode. Which data structure
would be nice to store/retrieve from in such a case (should dynamically
grow/shrink)?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte