[PD] "object" or "class" in pdpedia

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 13 02:37:02 CEST 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, hard off wrote:

> it took me 5 months to figure out the difference between objects, externals,
> and abstractions....god only knows how much longer it would have taken if
> i'd had to deal with 'classes' as well.  i probably would have given up.
> 'object'  has always been used (even if it is sometimes incorrectly
> used)..and i personnally wouldn't recommend changing that.

If it took you 5 months to figure it out, it's because that information is
too hard to get and people didn't push it to you either. If I teach pd,
then on the first day, or even the first hour, I get people to know:
classes, objects, messages, methods. I could perhaps skip on methods but
then how do you get people to make sense of "no method for...".

I personally can't recommend sticking with calling a class "an object",
because it puts pd at odds with the terminology of almost every
object-oriented programming language in use today.