[PD] Midi Clock and Syncing Strategies

Si Mills smills at rootsix.net
Fri Sep 14 13:19:28 CEST 2007

Hello List

I was wondering what the current state of play is with regard to
syncing to midiclock on OSX? (and windows I guess too). I have
managed to either generate a midi timecode or read it using
[midirealtimein] over the IAC bus and using [alternate] and [timer]
to create the clock in PD. (incidently [midirealtimein] shouldn't
work on OSX but it outputs something akin to 24pulse/quarter note!).
However, jitter makes it simply unusable for anything serious. I
suspect there needs to be some sort of lower level support as midi
over iac is not timetagged and relatively low priority in the OS.

I have seen a number of objects such as  [midiclkin] or
[midirealtimein] but they either seem to be incomplete or supported
on one platform. What is the currently the best strategy to syncing
to either other apps, or hardware for that matter? If one of the
developers could shed some light on this that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Si