[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes and selectors in the wiki)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 15 06:32:53 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 00:14 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> >> Again, this is up to the person building them.
> >
> > why? what is the benefit of it, when your decision creates
> > inconistencies? since everything seems to be hostet in cvs, why
> > does cvs
> > still support two ways of compiling them? i'd like to know from the
> > devs, if there is any good reason to keep the old makefiles/readmes
> > and
> > stuff in cvs.
> > if people finally would find only one makefile/readme: byebye
> > inconistencies. it automatically wouldn't make a difference anymore,
> > whether you are an pd-extended user or not.
>
> I am totally with you in spirit, but the issues are social, not
> technical.  I think that we should purge all old build systems
> (they'd still be archived in CVS) and replace them all with a
> standard build system.  But unfortunately, it has been a very
> political issue in the past, so the cruft remained.  It seems that
> things have changed on the social front somewhat, so maybe now this
> could be done.
>
> Are you volunteering to lead the charge? :-D

actually i would like to do so, but i have some concerns. first, as i
mentioned a few times before, i've never written a line of c code or a
makefile or a config-file. my knowledge about this is very limited. and
i am not a pd-cvs dev myself and thus do not feel like making my hands
dirty on files which have been written and developped carefully by
others. and still if i would feel to be able to do it, i would request
an admission first from the original author for each library before
doing it.

if it's only about deleting makefiles/configures and probably editing
the readmes and all pd-cvs people agree, i would do it.

roman