[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes and selectors in the wiki)

Thomas O Fredericks tof at danslchamp.org
Sat Sep 15 17:01:27 CEST 2007

You will be happy to know that the pdmtl abstractions have given up (for a
couple of months now) the [pdmtl/list/op] style of naming it's abstractions.

By building the pdmtl abstractions layer, users do not have to care about
namespaces anymore (anyways, I don't), as all externals/libraries are
treated as hidden code to the end user. I still believe that having
namespaces based on authors is a bad idea. The ideal solution would be to
add alternate names to many externals (like zexy's length could have one
additional line of code that would instantiate it with list.length, by
registering "list.length" as: class_addcreator((t_newmethod)length_new,
gensym("list.length")...
But then you would need an editor in chief that would decide what objects
get what alternate names. I think the best would be to hold an election for
the "editor in chief" that would make all the needed changes.

But honestly I do not think this is going to happen as there are many issues
that this thread has already enumerated. In my own opinion, I would say
"give up" and find another solution. That's what we did :)

Tom