[PD] pddp drafts

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 18 06:41:32 CEST 2007

I'll also throw in my attempt to the ring.  Or "pre-ring" perhaps I
should say. ;)  I like the overall layout of Ben's template 9, but I
think that the graphical elements are too heavy, drawing too much
attention.

I took Ben's original template-9 and applied some concepts I've been
thinking, reading, etc. about.  Bradford Paley has a lot of really
good things to say about interface design, outlined in this talk:

http://atlas-real.atlas.uiuc.edu:8080/refmov/ncsa/2005-11-04-0800pm.asx

(FYI: you can rip the stream with VLC, then watch it at 1.25X speed,
since he speaks with a lot of pauses).

- color should be used to make things stand-out
- the eye should be able to naturally skim thru the important parts
- the layout or decoration should not distract or draw attention

Therefore, I made the 'structural' elements in the background as much
as possible to make the examples and text come forward.  The color on
the header is to mark the patch as a help/reference patch, versus a
tutorial or all_about patch.