[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes and selectors in the wiki)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 18 18:54:13 CEST 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Georg Holzmann hat gesagt: // Georg Holzmann wrote:
>
>> As far as I undestood it the code of e.g. comport would go in this
>> standard lib (e.g. to hardware/comport) but should not duplicate the
>> code - instead the iem/comport code should be obsolete and now
>> maintained in hardware/comport.
>
> Yes, that would be the idea for binaries in the std-lib.
>
>> But as the others convinced me at the pd conv I don't think that this
>> will happen soon (and "soon" in pd time means maybe 8-10 years ... ;)
>
> Depends on how you define "this": I don't think that every external
> has to move over to stdlib immediately, if at all. comport would be a
> good example for an external that could stay outside the stdlib for
> the next 8-10 years without any bigger problems, as it is an object
> with a rather specific purpose. [drip] OTOH would be a candidate to
> take immediately. The old build-system by Guenther ("flatspace" in
> pd-extended) already showed the how the whole stdlib could be built as
> far as externals are concerned, and abstractions are dead easy to
> handle (as long as they are core-Pd-abstractions).

It's all a matter of perspective.  I use [comport] all the time and
really want a [io/serial] that is based on comport, but has a clean,
standardized interface in common with all IO objects (i.e. same basic
messages, inlets, outlets, etc.).  I have never used [drip], so it
doesn't matter to me whether that was included now or in 10 years.
Whether iem/comport is maintained is also a non-issue.  If someone
wants to do the work to maintain both, why stop them?

.hc