[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes and selectors in the wiki)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Sep 19 09:31:01 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> We would not have Gem, PDP, PiDiP, hid, ann, pdogg, streaming, theora/
> speex/mp3 externals, etc. if we did not allow externals to use non-
> core libraries.

Nowhere did I say that. All I'm suggesting is, that a std-library of
externals and abstractions must be self-contained: It must include
everything that is needed to run it (except Pd). Add to that that
ideally this lib would also run on pure-Pd, abstractions must use only
core objects or externals from the std-lib itself, nothing else.

Note that I don't see the std-lib as a pd-distribution itself. It's
not meant to be a duplicate of what pd-extended does. Pd-extended
could include the stdlib, but not define what the stdlib is.

> Instead of arbitrary restrictions, we should make an
> environment where people can count on having the libraries they need
> in the same place on every machine.  This is a key thing about Java,
> Debian, etc. and this is the core purpose of Pd-extended.

I don't think a std-library can be restricted to one pd-distribution
only. This would be the same as if Python's os-module would only run
on Debian. Wouldn't be a problem to me, but it would be for many
others.

Ciao