[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Sep 19 09:49:37 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Thomas O Fredericks hat gesagt: // Thomas O Fredericks wrote:

> Well, the examples with more than one folder depth are not of concern. Just
> limit the search to one depth.

Okay, one level could work for "extra". It would break how
pd-extended is built however.

> Also, asking the authors of the conflicting objects/abstractions is much
> less work than building a mega-meta-system. After, that, the cvs "law" could
> simply state that no now object/abstraction may have the same name at the
> first depth level (or second depth depending on your persepective).

I'm not too confident about this "ask the authors" as that didn't work
out in the past (10 years). I think, for Pd a "mechanisms not policy"
guideline as the Lua people have works better. Without policy the risk
of automatically searching one additional level is that nameclashes
are easier again, even with only one level, because extra/a/x.pd and
extra/b/x.pd both can exist on one harddisk without problems and we
have two [x] again.

> So only objetcts/abstractions named extra/*/*.pd, extra/*/*.dll,
> extra/*/*.pd_linux or extra/*/*.pd_darwin
>
> Also, please quoting pdmtl abstractions. If you require more information
> about them, please visit the documentation website. The cvs version is
> outdated, and since there is talking of making a svn system, they will be
> integrated properly then.

Ah, I'm very sorry. I was only looking at how it's in CVS and
pd-extended and now I see that you've dropped the second-level
directories.

Ciao