[PD] [; pd init(

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 20 21:17:01 CEST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Miller Puckette wrote:

> It's possible to crash Pd using "dynamic editing" (deleting objects
> reentrantly)

That might be why I want to use reference counting everywhere.

> and I don't know how to get around the problem without sacrificing
> run-time efficiency.

Actually, even if I don't use reference counting, the deletion operation
could still scan the pd_stack to figure out whether the object is used or
not. My benchmarks indicate that maintaining pd_stack (without the
profiler) doesn't use much cpu (it's almost neglectible).

However, the reference counting would be a more complete solution, if I
can figure out a way to do it efficiently and with enough
backwards-compatibility.