[PD] call for testing: Pd-extended fonts on GNU/Linux

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Sep 21 19:56:57 CEST 2007

So it turns out that there is at least one person who has problems
with the current Pd-extended font setup on GNU/Linux.

The only place that I have seen a problem is _only_ 12 point fonts
and _only_ on some GNU/Linux machines.  Everywhere else that I have
tested (which is 25+ machines at this point) it works.

So in an effort to track down the source of this, I ask all y'all
running Pd-extended on any flavor of GNU/Linux to post screenshots
like this, with Pd launched from the command line so you can see the
tk scaling value:

http://pow.idmi.poly.edu/~hans/pdfonts/screenshots/

Also, it would be very useful to know which flavor of GNU/Linux you
are running, which screen resolution, and whether you've set any kind
of DPI setting.  Please post the images on the web somewhere (like
puredata.info) and I'll gather them from there.

Remember, you need to have Bitstream Vera Sans Mono installed and
working for things to render correctly.  It's included on most
standard installs, but if you have a customized install, you should
double-check that it's actually installed.

Fedora: yum install bitstream-vera-fonts
Debian/Ubuntu: apt-get install ttf-bitstream-vera

----

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White