[PD] DMX oriented library for PD?

Peter Plessas plessas at mur.at
Sat Sep 22 17:30:31 CEST 2007

* David Schaffer <schafferdavid at hotmail.com> [2007-09-22 15:55]:
> Hi,
>
>    Is there such thing as a DMX language oriented library for pd?  I never heard of it but it would certainly be an amazing step forward for the program: being able to deal with sound, video, midi and lighting control signals would make it a must-have for theaters... Considering pd's control signals abilities, it shouldn't be too hard to emulate a lighting board's functions, and also the sound/lighting interraction could be much deeper. Has anyone thought of this before? I know there's usb-dmx boxes out there...

Hi David, Chris, List

there was a dmx external by Chris Kummerer, the page does not
exist anymore: http://test.pilot.fm/pd/externs/

Olaf Matthes did an External for Max only:
http://www.akustische-kunst.org/maxmsp/

I once bought an Enttec DMX USB interface (enttec.com) but did never get
it to run, because the dmx4linux drivers did not compile for my kernel:

On the dmx4linux-webpage they write:
http://llg.cubic.org/dmx4linux/
2005-09-14 :
DMX4Linux 2.6 released. The first release to support linux 2.6 kernels, but not all drivers have been ported yet

The developers are very nice, and told me about a way to compile it,
which i did not, bc it meant going through a lot of files and changing
some variable names, which i postponed to winter/summer holidays (choose
one) :-)

Perhaps you speak german? This is out of an email by Michael Stickel
(dmx4linux developer), Feb 2006, michael[at]roasted.cubic.org:
Quote:
Ueberall wo in den dmx4linux Sourcen (Makefile's und config.mk) -ldmx
vorkommt
durch -ldmx512 ersetzen und im lib Ordner im Makefile statt libdmx als
target libdmx512 angeben, dann sollte er das als libdmx512.so.* und
libdmx512.a uebersetzen.

It would be great if the drivers and the external by Chris were still
available and would compile, please keep us posted about any success you
have!

regards, Peter