[PD] Command line-magic for PDP-compatibliness?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Sep 25 04:35:58 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 08:27 +0200, Martin Ahnelöv wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm fiddling around a bit with PDP, and it's great! Just one thing: How
> can I convert my non-mov videos to a pdp_qt-compatible format with a
> linux-based tool? I've tried, like, all codecs I could think of in
> ffmpeg without any succes. How do you do it?

hi

since i don't know ffmpeg that much, i can't tell you how to do it with
ffmpeg, but i know how with mencoder. from my experience, movies in the
mov container and encoded with mjpeg seem to be the most portable ones.
mjpeg is a) a simple codec and b) it does only intraframe compression,
which is faster to decode and also makes it easier to access frames
randomly.

the command line i am using:

mencoder input.<whatever> -o output.mov -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mjpeg -of lavf -lavfopts format=mov

not only pdp, but also [pix_film] from Gem and [#in] from gridflow seem
to like this format.

roman