[PD] Opening a PD patch on Startup in OSX

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Sep 26 16:58:04 CEST 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 6:20 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Max Neupert wrote:
>
>> Am 23.09.2007 um 18:35 schrieb Greg Pond:
>>> I havent encountered the problem that you have but I dont
>>> shutdown my
>>> machines at night. Is there some reason you need to?
>> what about saving some energy and our earth ;)
>> or is that a no reason?
>
> As soon as you start heating your house, saving energy on
> incandescent lightbulbs and computers and monitors becomes rather
> futile: the energy that you save on those still has to be spent on
> plain heating. The big difference might be that e.g. you pay
> HydroQuébec instead of GazMétro, so you generate less CO2 and pay a
> bit more (until the price of methane goes up), but if your heating
> is all-electric there is no difference.
>
> At this point in the year, though, it matters to me: air
> conditioner is on, it's back to 30°C in Montréal. If you use air
> conditioning, heating matters twice because not only it's generated
> but it also takes extra energy to take it out of the house.
>
> Energy saving ratings never take this into account, afaik.

You overlooked one thing, which is that it is a lot more expensive to
heat with electricity than combustion.  Compare:

- Burn stuff, make steam, turn generators, step up voltage, transmit
power many miles over big wires, step down voltage, transmit to
house, and run thru electrical element to generate heat

- pipe stuff to house, burn it, pump hot water around your house.

.hc