[PD] fundamental hot/cold midi question

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:45:34 CEST 2007

On 9/26/07, Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Right now I'm pretty confused. What did I miss? In retrospect, it seems
> > very odd to me that switching the lines sending velocity ad note in arp
> > would have any effect. I would expect those to lines to happen
>
> My patches are just full of triggers like this.
>
> Steve

This is not a fundamental problem if you program PD idiomatically. PD
is not Max! In PD, having multiple lines out of an outlet is typically
considered to be a patching error. Sometimes I do it from laziness in
situations where order doesn't matter, but really it's incorrect.
Using triggers is the correct way of programming in the PD idiom.

Actually, once you get used to PD, max patches typically look far less
'logical', in my opinion.

Why do you consider this a "fundamental problem" exactly?

~David