[PD] fundamental hot/cold midi question

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Wed Sep 26 19:01:39 CEST 2007

Howdy all,

David Powers wrote:

> Actually, once you get used to PD, max patches typically look far less
> 'logical', in my opinion.

Actually, the fact that on-screen position affects order of operations
at all is very illogical if you ask me. It can get especially confusing
when sends and receives get involved. If the subpatch with the receive
is nested three layers deep on the left hand side of the screen, but the
send is on the right, when does it do it's thing? (Don't ask me, I've
never really used MAX...) And if moving that subpatch a few pixels to
the right can change the functioning of an entire patch, that is a very
fundamental flaw for sure!

Getting used to [trigger] is fundamental to using PD. It confuses the
hell out of workshop participants the first time you explain it, but by
the end every one of them has usually come up to me asking me to sort
out an order of operations problem that can be easily solved by using it.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista