[PD] fundamental hot/cold midi question

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 26 20:33:31 CEST 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Atte André Jensen wrote:
>> If someone could enlighten me, I'd be most happy :-)
> generally i often find it easier to use a list instead of separate outlets.
> this way elements that belong together are also grouped together.
> (if you need the separate values, you can always use [pack])

you mean [unpack]... and it makes me think of what i thought about for
documentation and factorisation purposes: think of some classes as being
"unpack-like", which means that when it outputs something, it outputs one
value per outlet while respecting right-to-left order, and every output is
an atom. It happens that the easiest way to implement this is by putting a
[unpack] object near the bottom with a bunch of [outlet] objects on it.

Regardless of the implementation, objects could be tested from the outside
for accurate order: if I declare that a certain class is an "unpack-like
with 4 outlets" then a wrapper would be made which would figure out
whether any outputs are correctly made.

It would be a nice shortcut to have a class called [outlets] which would
count as N [outlet]s in a row and an [unpack].

Currently, documentation does not systematically say when it is that the
order is right-to-left and when it is not.