[PD] fundamental hot/cold midi question

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 26 21:06:12 CEST 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Steffen wrote:
> On 26/09/2007, at 20.33, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Currently, documentation does not systematically say when it is that the
>> order is right-to-left and when it is not.
> Risking to repeat your point(?): Since it's possible to make it not
> right-to-left, shouldn't that be considered a flaw (in the doc for that
> object/class)?

One of my big points about documentation, in my paper "a type theory for
the documentation of PureData", is that documentation should be as
complete as that, mentioning little "details" like this all of the time,
so that there is no ambiguities and nothing hidden. This is more work.
More work means that it's more effort to write documentation like that in
the current style of documentation. This is one reason why I propose a
style of documentation in which there is a vocabulary of concepts that are
not directly found as object classes and which categorise object classes
in multiple ways about what you can expect from them. This makes the
necessary shortcuts in documentation that improves the ease of writing
documentation enough that it becomes easy to mention every little detail
and at the same time spend less time writing documentation and at the
same time need less time to read documentation and at the same time learn
more about pd.

Maybe I didn't write as much as that on that topic in the actual paper, as
I was already well over the maximum "allowed" length.