[PD] fundamental hot/cold midi question

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 26 21:53:49 CEST 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Stephen Sinclair wrote:

> I didn't mean to push people's buttons by making the faux pas of a
> comparison with Max, but in this respect I do find that at least Max has
> a deterministic way of showing what messages are going to send in what
> order.  I consider this an improvement, but you certainly don't have to.
> It's also not necessarily the *best* way this problem could be solved,
> because as others have suggested,  too much dependence on the
> locations of objects creates its own issues.

If you start with the idea that there should be this feature, then you
should have some kind of support from the editor that prevents the
downside of it, which is to change behaviour accidentally by trying to
reformat the appearance of a patch (moving objects around). If
right-to-left order of wires is so important, prevent simple object motion
from going past another object connected to from the same outlet, and
introduce some different way of permuting those wires.

> Another solution might be to explicitly number the patch cords, for example.

This wouldn't prevent the reformatting problems, unless there is obvious
highlighting of any permutation of destinations.