[PD] Trying to implement switch ramp

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Oct 2 20:23:40 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 13:52 -0400, Thomas O Fredericks wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to implement the switch ramp that the list was talking
> about. Attached you will find the abstraction and a patch showing the
> bug.

hm, your buggy patc sounds right to me, though i see the deformation in
the array. this isn't actually bad at all. the deformation comes from
the ramp you are adding, though it's not quite hearable. even more, when
you use that technique in a reallife example, the deformation is not
bad, but wanted. in your example, you apply it on a constant sinewave,
which wouldn't be something, that you would do in a patch. so: do not
mind about the deformation, since it is what you actually want.

> Why doesn't this work?

it does, doesn't it?

> Actually, it kind of works, but there is an annoying glitch (when you
> replace the lines with vlines inside mix.switch.ramp~ the clicking is
> even worse).

[line~] and [vline~] are _not_ interchangeable. since [vline~] uses sort
of time tagged messages, it will start the ramp somewhere between block
boundaries, if it is triggered by [delay] or [metro] -> this produces
the clicks. check the corresponding thread 'switch and ramp' in the
pd-list for detailed reasons, why it isn't possible to implement that
technique with [vline~]

roman