[PD] linux - faster load first time

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 01:53:46 CEST 2007

Yes this is page/cache feature and seen with many apps. If you have
a very frequently used app that you want to load fast each time then
consider creating a RAM disk. Study Knoppix and Puredyne to see that
in action. A start script to load Pd bins into RAM and then set the
path to them. Useful for performance situations maybe.

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 09:10:27 +0200
Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> When I run pd the first time it takes a while to load, the second time
> it's much faster. I use a bash script to load my session (ardour, muse,
> pd + more) so if pd isn't running before muse, muse can't connect it's
> midi outs to pd's midi in.
>
> I assume the load time is a matter of loading a binary, that's cached
> the second time. If so, where's the big binary? I tried running "cat
> /usr/local/bin/pd > /dev/null" in the beginning of my bash script, but
> that didn't seem to work.
>
> If the above is a blind alley, whe could be done to speed up pd loadtime
> the first time?
>
> NB: pd is version 0.40.3, and I'm running debian/linux...
>
> --
> peace, love & harmony
> Atte
>
> http://atte.dk       | http://myspace.com/attejensen