[PD] side effects

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 5 17:54:42 CEST 2007

On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:02 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:
>
>> I think of pdpedia more like an encyclopedia. but I think a
>> discussion
>> forum for bugs and comments beside the mailing list is a good
>> idea. the
>> cross linking can by done by linking to mails in the pd-list archives
>> and vice versa. still, I think bugs should be mentioned in the
>> pdpedia
>> pages.
>
> I think, care should be taken to not duplicate the bug tracker.
> People or at least I won't be reading pdpedia all the time just like
> people don't read Wikipedia only when needed. So if pdpedia authors
> find a bug, they should report it to the bug tracker and then make a
> link to that, so everyone on pdpedia knows this bug is reported.

The pdpedia bugs section and the bug tracker serve quite different
purposes.  The bug tracker is for information leading to fixing a
bug.  The pdpedia bug section is for documenting the existance of
know bugs and known workarounds.

A pdpedia page should be a complete resource all about that given
object, or whatever.  If the wikipedians avoided duplicating things
that exist, wikipedia would be tiny and not very useful.  The real
advantage comes in have one resource that gives you an overview of
all you need to know.

.hc