[PD] linux - faster load first time

ilya .d ild0012 at londonmet.ac.uk
Sat Oct 6 18:16:48 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:04:47AM -0400, Kevin McCoy wrote:

> > what distro are you on?
>

> Ubuntu Studio Feisty 7.04.  I usually do load some GNOME things ocasionally
> and I wonder if they are staying in the system... I'm running a P4 1.6 GHz
> 384 MB RAM so I need to keep the memory freed up.  I will look into the
> running processes, I haven't taken the time to find out what is what yet.
> Application startup (including pd) is slow and the pc doesn't seem to be
> paging or anything to disk...
>
> km
i'm not very positive about ubuntu ..
i'd recoment you slackware - the latest release (12) now has
HAL and 2.6.12 kernel ..it didn't have either before for a reason ..

well .. it's up to you which distro to run .. but some of them aren't
designed to run on older hardware (such as suse and probably ubuntu)..

.. also may be it's a good idea to minimize the kernel (just too be sure
:)

i'd say - i can set up a dedicated box which would have only necessary
apps on it and would take the full advantage of the hw .. but it is very
hard to explain all i would do setting it up.

try studing more about linux, i think if you feel up for it - you'll get
to the point when you can sort it out.

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo