[PD] linux - faster load first time

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sat Oct 6 20:39:42 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 16:16 +0000, ilya .d wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:04:47AM -0400, Kevin McCoy wrote:
> > >

> > > what distro are you on?
> >

> > Ubuntu Studio Feisty 7.04.  I usually do load some GNOME things ocasionally
> > and I wonder if they are staying in the system... I'm running a P4 1.6 GHz
> > 384 MB RAM so I need to keep the memory freed up.  I will look into the
> > running processes, I haven't taken the time to find out what is what yet.
> > Application startup (including pd) is slow and the pc doesn't seem to be
> > paging or anything to disk...
> >
> > km
> i'm not very positive about ubuntu ..

yo, for my part, i am very positive about ubuntu. i still have ubuntu
dapper installed and i changed to fluxbox, though sometimes i still run
some gnome applications. all drivers have been running out of the box
(inlcuding video drivers, wireless and all that stufff); no issues with
binary firmware of any hardware; getting realtime priority for pd and
jack wasn't complicated at all; i get can 7ms roundtrip latency, if i
want; i never had the feeling, that it takes too much time to start pd
(though, i usually load only the libs needed); and i have also only
512MB RAM.

for all that, i wouldn't know why to use a distro, where it requires
much more effort to get things working. this is just the experience i
had, that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone else.

my two cents
roman