[PD] side effects

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Oct 6 21:21:11 CEST 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 3:07 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> A pdpedia page should be a complete resource all about that given
>> object, or whatever.  If the wikipedians avoided duplicating things
>> that exist, wikipedia would be tiny and not very useful.  The real
>> advantage comes in have one resource that gives you an overview of
>> all you need to know.
>
> Which Wikipedia.org is not.
>
> Wikipedia is inherently incomplete and full of errors and will always
> be that way, which is not a problem unless people aren't aware of
> these limitations and take for truth what's written on Wikipedia.
> Pdpedia may be similar: It describes a real world outside of itself
> (help-files, bugs, etc.) which may be out of sync at every point in
> time.

I should say "gives you overview of what's out there.  I don't claim
(and mistakenly wrote) that any source will have "all" the info.

While we are on the topic, if you look at the research, wikipedia has
shown to be basically as accurate as traditional encyclopedias.
Traditional encyclopedias are also full of errors.  That's
inevitable.  There will never be an publication without errors,
everyone should expect that from any source they read.

All that said, wikipedia is a great resource for quick information.
I think we can make Pdpedia the same.

----

                             kill your television