[PD] That's a surprising new look

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:35:52 CEST 2007

with the level of virtuosity you also want to demand new levels of
requirements. it is not about displaying a visualization of the
programming flow or readability of code, it is only about efficiency and
user interaction.
for other situations than performance or user interface, this feature is
not necessary, I have to admit.
marius.

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> A programming environment should encourage people to program in a way
> that not only works, but also is clearly legible to people who have
> never seen that program before.  This makes it much easier to reuse and
> maintain code, and that leads to much less duplicated effort.  That
> means everyone can benefit from the faster progress.
>
> .hc
>
> On Oct 10, 2007, at 10:07 AM, marius schebella wrote:
>
>> I don't understand people complaining about additional features. you
>> don't have to use it, if you don't want. but for other people it makes
>> sense to layout their interface independently from their code.
>> design is so important for a graphical user interface!
>> I heard this so often "I can't share my patch, because only I know,
>> how to use it". patches without a user interface for the run-mode are
>> not sharable.
>> I am not talking about patches with only an on/off button...
>> pd is very limited in that regards and I really would wish pd would
>> make more improvement into that direction.
>> marius.

>>> 100% agreed, that is why I thought "umm... what's so special about this
>>> presentation mode?" when I saw that page.  To me that should be
>>> planned into
>>> the program.  If your patches are messy for performance, code
>>> cleaner, use
>>> subpatches, etc, no excuses for that as far as I see.  Sends and
>>> receives
>>> for gui objects have been there since I started..  I guess I wasn't