[PD] Tk GUI script (pd.tk) questions ..

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Oct 11 20:42:31 CEST 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 12:20 PM, ilya .d wrote:

> i'll have a look at it whenever i have time.
> in fact i really enjoy working without scorllbar, as it saves some
> space
> on the display and looks cool (complitely minimal)

In Pd-extended, (on Mac OS X at least), the scrollbars completely
disappear if it doesn't need to scroll.

> and easy way of changing pd.tk bihaviour could be sourcing a ~/.pdtkrc
> so it sets some basic variables.

It seems that should be integrated into one preferences system, with
a GUI pref pane and associated storage mechanism.

.hc

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:50:21AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>>
>> The key bindings and menus are quite messy in the pd.tk.  From
>> other Tcl
>> apps I've seen, I think it could be made MUCH cleaner and easier
>> to handle.
>>  Basically, there should be one spot for each platform that
>> defines all of
>> the key bindings and menu structure, then that is used everywhere.
>>
>> If someone would take this on, I'll gladly help with the tricky bits.
>> Another thing that would be really great would be to clean up the
>> preferences panels.
>
> do you mean File->startup and File->path ? or audio settings as well ?
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2007, at 1:31 AM, ild0012 at londonmet.ac.uk wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list.
>>>
>>> I'd like to ask those of you who knows Tk/Tcl very well.
>>>
>>> I have attempted and succeed changing pd.tk for my personal use ..
>>>
>>> i added extra key biddings and removed menubars ..
>>> well, Romain gave me the no-scroll + no-menu script
>>>
>>> i have few thoughts ..
>>>
>>> if we could set the menu as function, so it could be removable by
>>> a msg
>>> ..?
>>>
>>> may be the window list needs some improvments .. if it could be kept
>>> separately from the .m.windows , so removing the whole bock of
>>> code with
>>> menubar related stuff if pd_menubar==0 could be better then just
>>> removing some of bits of it ..
>>>
>>> regrding fonts, i have set most of them to 'clean',
>>> which give a pretty looking gui ..
>>>
>>> may be they could be set by variables in a separate config file ?
>>>

>>> i feel like i can most of these modifications myself ..
>>> without getting extra complexity like in  Mathieu's desiredata ..
>>>
>>> the question is, how can such kind of enhanchements affect the
>>> perfomance ?
>>>
>>> could some extra variables take extra bits of memory ?
>>> how efficient Tk/Tcl is ? ..so people on IRC channel #dataflow
>>> complained a lot , that Tk is not very fast etc...
>>>
>>> setting leyboard biddings i added more the 10 extra conditional
>>> statements ..i thoght that getting any keyborad events Tk will
>>> have to
>>> run trough some more stuff in order to send something to pd,
>>> isn't it?
>>> or Tk has a way of super-super-fast scan trough all that?
>>>

>>> --
>>> thanks for attention,
>>> ilya .d

>> -------
>>
>> "[W]e have invented the technology to eliminate scarcity, but we are
>> deliberately throwing it away to benefit those who profit from
>> scarcity."
>>      -John Gilmore
>>

> Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo

----

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne