[PD] file access audio glitches

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 14 02:44:57 CEST 2007

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 17:06 -0700, Phil Stone wrote:
>
>> Phil Stone wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody know if ram disks are possible on OS X?
>>>

>> To answer my own question about OS X ram disks (GIYF), yes it seem to be
>> possible (though not especially well documented).  Since most of my
>> files are pretty small, this might help.
>>

>> Phil
>>

> why do you need a ram disk? wouldn't it be sufficient to just read all
> necessary files in advance? they will be automatically in ram then...
>
> roman

Do you mean because of disk caching?  If not, then it seems fairly
complicated to create a whole new all-file-loader/memory structure for
each type of file.*  The beauty of a ram disk is that it the file
addressing is exactly the same.  In fact, I just now set one up in a few
minutes, and it works wonderfully.  I can change sssad presets, or
[tunetof] tunings, with nary a glitch.  Of course, it won't work for
files big enough to take more than one dsp block to load from ram --
that's a big limitation.

* I imagine this working by pre-loading everything in a given directory
(or listed in another file, maybe).  Storing, then accessing and copying
that information live doesn't seem trivial, to me at least.

Phil