[PD] syntax of Pd files

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Oct 16 13:33:38 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Andy Farnell hat gesagt: // Andy Farnell wrote:

> #X array $1-THREE 6485 float 0;
>
> Maybe an easy one, we create an array called $1-THREE of size
> 6485 of type float. And an array doesn't need coordinates because a graph
> has the coordinates not the array. But what is that 0 at the end?

It's a flag specifiying the array's properties: "save contents", "draw
as points" etc. I don't know how exactly this is built, use the
source, Luke. ;)

> #N canvas 0 22 450 300 graph1 0;
> #X restore 235 308 graph1;
>
> What is the real purpose of restore? What are these parameters? How does
> it relate to the canvas?

The pair (canvas, restore) is like a bracket. Usually this is used to
specify start and end of a subpatches. It also resets the object
counter temporarily: "connect" inside a subpatch starts counting
objetcs at 0 again. The object counter of the parent is restored
after the end of the subpatch. See attached example
"canvas-restore.pd" It also contains things like "GOP enabled?" etc.

Your example is a pure graph however, not a subpatch. Pure graphs are
used to hold arrays, and they have a bit different parameters. See
below. I think the parameters to "restore" hold the position of the
subcanvas in the parent.

> What the hell is coords? Why?
>
> #X coords 0 1.02 6484 -1.02 200 130 1;

Coordinates (size etc.) of the subpatch or graph. Check the
"Properties" of the graph/subpatch. and attached example
"graphs-and-arrays.pd"

Ciao