[PD] many paths, how

Anders Friberg andersf at speech.kth.se
Wed Oct 17 09:55:40 CEST 2007

One reason for wanting to use all the paths might be to be able to use
more than 10 libraries of those included in extended.
I tried to trace down the problem I had with this and I found a strange
behavior related to the "use standard extension" option in the Path..
dialog (standardpath variable):
When the "use standard extension" option is selected and pd is started
then all subdirectories of  /extra seems to be included in the search
path (used the  verbose flag in the Paths.. dialog). Thus, there is no
need to include any extended libs in the search paths.
However, if pd is started with the "use standard extension" option off
it doesn't help turning it on again. If pd is restarted it works again.
I checked the registry in windows and it is updated correctly.
So obviously the "use standard extension" is only changed at start time.
On the other hand the path changes takes effect immediately. Maybe this
is a know behavior but it gets very confusing from a user point of view.
It is not documented in the pd documentation (BTW pictures missing in
the manual).
I used the latest pd-extended on windows.
I think that the "use more than 10 libs" question is not an education
problem or searching-the-web problem. I think there are some subtle
behavior like the one pointed out here that creates a lot of confusion.
Best
Anders