[PD] [OT] Re: about sexism is TERMINATE THREAD PLEASE

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 17 21:02:29 CEST 2007

I forgot to add, I think there are very few people on this list who
are deliberately trying to exclude people.  There are a wide range of
cultures involved in this list, and some things that are not a big
deal in some places are quite offensive in others.  And email is
never a good medium for communicating subtleties, like tongue-in-
cheek, sarcasm, etc.

So in the hopes of sharing Pd, I hope we can keep that in mind when
posting.  I know I learned a lesson when I said "hey guys" on this
list in the past.  In California (where I grew up), men and women,
feminists and not, commonly use "hey guys" to mean all people, not
just males.  Others read that as "hey men", which is certainly not
what I meant to say...

.hc

On Oct 17, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> You absolutely have a valid opinion, its' good to hear it on this
> list.  Now it seems that this thread is actually getting
> somewhere.  I had decided to ignore it, so I didn't realize the
> depths it had fallen to.
>
> I also have a strong distaste for the "gang bang" talk and macho
> programming. It seems that computer music is one of the last
> bastions of male dominance, I mean even most Linux events are at
> least 20% female, not so in the computer music world.  As someone
> who was raised by a strong feminist, I have always wondered what I
> could do to change that.  So far I haven't found an answer, but I
> am always open to suggestions.
>
> It does seem that the macho geek culture is a common complaint.  A
> friend of mine started college in the Mechanical Engineering
> department since she'd always wanted to make things.  She was one
> of few women in the department, and was constantly challenged and
> mocked because she was a woman.  Needless to say, she changed
> departments, but still wishes she was a mechanical engineer.
> Sadly, I think that such things happen with Pd a lot as well.
>
> .hc
>
> On Oct 17, 2007, at 3:34 AM, Alicia Byer wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Maybe I have no valid opinion because I just lurk on this list, but I
>> don't appreciate being called "girl" either, I'm in my mid-twenties
>> also. And I agree with Darsh and Alejandra. The kind of terms and
>> attitudes being thrown around about gang-bangs and gross sex make
>> me not
>> want to join in any discussions. It seems designed to keep me out.
>> It's
>> just like my supercollider class in college where I was one of two
>> women, and the professor kept discussing what one should do to be
>> a real
>> "jock" programmer, and everything had to be so macho all the time. I
>> guess it's just "male bonding" but it's excluding others that want to
>> learn. I am just sick of this attitude from some guys that women
>> can't
>> be real composers, musicians, programmers, whatever. I mean.. It's
>> 2007!!! Not the stone age.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks everybody.
>>
>> -Alicia

>>> hi roman

>>> thanks for switching in again, I feel we don't discuss the topic
>>> of sexism
>>> which is in front of our sex, it is basically always there.
>>> gender, we
>>> keep on being fixed on gender on agressive attitudes, intolerance.
>>>
>>> for example this
>>> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-10/054689.html
>>>
>>> If I remember well Matju was also molested by this.
>>> to me this was intolerance because it doesn't allow us to get into a
>>> deeper degree in the conversation.
>>> It may also be known as male bonding (funnily enough  it was
>>> followed by a
>>> funny advertisementlike max msp thread)

> [...]

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic