[PD] Calling a canvas names [was: Re: syntax of Pd files]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Oct 18 08:13:44 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >I think, one of the problems of [namecanvas] is that it's an object, and
> >thus it can be deleted by a message. One suggested way out was to
> >instead make namecanvas an actual property of the canvas, that is set
> >through the props menu.
>
> tell me what should happen to [import] and [block~]...
>
> and if they have to be handled differently: why.

As I see it, the only purpose of [namecanvas] is to allow sending
messages to an instance of an abstraction and generally these messages
involve some kind of dynamic editing. Building a network of objects on
a canvas often is easier to make when starting from scratch with an
empty canvas (because of connection numbering etc.). But you cannot
clear the canvas when using [namecanvas]!

This restriction leads to really ugly workarounds. Just compare the
old version of nqpoly4 with the version, where I removed the
[namecanvas] (which was unnecessary here anyway) and used a subpatch
instead. If "namecanvas" was a property of the canvas, one could patch
abstraction instances dynamically just like subpatches.

Ciao