[PD] many paths, how

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Oct 18 10:29:57 CEST 2007

Jamie Bullock wrote:

> It is also one of the most frequent questions I get asked when I
> introduce new users to PD.

interestingly enough i never have been asked this.
most likely it is not the initial design that a lot of paths are to be
added.

> Personally I think the entire 'search paths'
> window is badly designed.

nevertheless i agree with you.

> I have a few ideas about how it might be
> improved:
>
> 1/ 'Save all settings' and 'Apply' should be removed.
>
> 2/ The path list should have a dynamically generated scrollbar, so that
> when the list exceeds a certain length (10), the scrollbar appears and
> the user can view the additional paths by scrolling up/down.
>
> 3/ It should not be possible to type directly into the path list, only
> select a list element or group of elements (paths).
>
> 4/ Two new buttons should be added directly underneath the path list:
> 'Add' and 'Remove'.
>
> 5/ 'Add' opens a new dialog ('Select path...') whereby the user can
> either enter a path or navigate to it using a filesystem browser widget.
> Once the path has been entered (or selected), clicking 'OK' adds the
> path to the path list and closes the 'Select path...' dialogue.
>
> 6/ Clicking 'Remove' in the main 'path list' window will remove the
> currently selected item(s) from the path list.
>
> 7/ Clicking 'OK' will commit changes to disk, apply them for the current
> session and close the window.
>
> 8/ Clicking 'Cancel' will discard the changes and close the window.

what i am dearly missing in your design is:

9) buttons to re-order the paths
(since you cannot add change the paths directly, and i think it is very
re-order paths in a way that involves opening several windows)
in my work-cycle, path-order is a crucial thing when it comes to getting
the "right" object.

10) unify the path and startup dialogs into one single (possibly
multi-tab) dialog.

mf.ar
IOhannes