[PD] pdpedia classifications

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 19 21:37:00 CEST 2007

On Oct 19, 2007, at 2:53 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>>
>>> That was my thinking, sorry for the approximate usage of
>>> "deprecated".
>
> just to make that clear: i did not try to be pedantic.
> but my command of the english language is surely worse than hans's,
> and i always want to take the opportunity to learn something.
> your definition of "deprecated" was contradictory for me (though it
> might not have been for others)

ok, no problem.

>> I think something like this in the status box would be useful:
>> or Status: abandoned (0.33)
>
> i would be a bit more specific and use "pd-0.33" instead of just
> "0.33".
> it might as well be "pd-extended-0.34" (if the pd-extended version
> differs with pd-vanilla regarding the interoperability of the said
> thing) or "linux-2.2.18".
> there are manifold reasons why an external could be abandoned/
> deprecated or simply dysfuntional.

I prefer if the -extended was in the version, since it's a distro
rather than a branch, fork, or separate program, i.e. 0.39.3-
extended.  But I don't think it's too likely that something will be
deprecated in Pd but not in Pd-extended, but perhaps.

> and (if i haven't said that before), i would suggest using a more
> positive wording like
> "works with: (pd<0.35)"

I am not opposed to coming up with our own terminology.  But when
there is existing terminology that works for us, I think it's good to
use it.  I think "deprecated"  could cover this.

.hc

>> If there is more info, then a section could easily be added in the
>> text.
>
> definitely.
>
> fgmasdr.
> IOhannes

----

You can't steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can
hear it, you can have it. - Dizzy Gillespie