[PD] font troubles WAS Re: [PD-dev] working towards Pd-0.40.3-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 24 03:48:20 CEST 2007

Ben Bogart had this problem as well, basically the font wasn't
recognized by the system.  Can you use that font in anything?

I think he solved it by reinstalling x-ttcidfont-conf.  On a Debian-
esque machine, you do this:

apt-get install --reinstall x-ttcidfont-conf

.hc

On Oct 23, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> I guess that is not correct, since it changes to the same font no
> matter what I put there.  I do have Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
> installed.
>
> On 10/23/07, Luke Iannini (pd) <lukexipd at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're right.  It looks like it's using regular Bitstream Vera Sans
> rather than Mono?
> I have this line in my .pdrc
> -font-face "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono"
> Is that correct?
>

> Also, Pd-Extended defaults to Monaco on OS X, which is included,
> but I don't like it since it is not anti-aliased (I posted about
> that elsewhere).
>

> On 10/23/07, Miller Puckette <mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> The following lines:
>
>         sys_fontlist[i].fi_hostfontsize =
>             atom_getintarg(3 * best + 2, argc, argv);
>         sys_fontlist[i].fi_width = atom_getintarg(3 * best + 3,
> argc, argv);
>         sys_fontlist[i].fi _height = atom_getintarg(3 * best + 4,
> argc, argv);
>
> are how Pd finds out the actual font size from teh Tk front end; in Pd
> extended the font patch comments these lines out, so Pd assumes the
> font
> size is exactly as specified.  This leads to problems like clicking
> on one
> place and getting text selected in another.  I never understood why
> the
> lines were commented out.
>
> I'm not sure how wise it is to make a relase of Pd that depends on
> having
> a particular font installed... looks like this breaks a lot of
> machines.
>
> cheers
> Miller
>

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 08:01:16PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
> >
> > Yup, you don't have Bitstream Vera Sans Mono working/installed.  It
> > has a distinctive lower L.
> >
> > .hc
> >
> > On Oct 23, 2007, at 7:15 PM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:
> >
> > >Here's a new pic demonstrating the issue, by the way (I'll add it
> > >to the tracker)
> > >The 1px wide canvas is demonstrating where I am clicking, and the
> > >actual cursor is visible to show the result.

> > >What mismatched font cursor handling?  If there's a bug, please
> > >report it on the tracker. :-)
> > >
> > >I did, and apparently it was fixed : ).  Anyway, the description is
> > >exactly the same:
> > >http://sourceforge.net/tracker /index.php?
> > >func=detail&aid=1650752&group _id=55736&atid=478070
> > >

> > >Can this be reopened or should I submit a new one?
> > >

> > >Cheers
> > >Luke
> > >
> > ><Picture 1.png>

> > ----
> >
> >                             kill your television

----

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra