[PD] [OT] about sexism

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:50:38 CEST 2007

On 10/22/07, Andrew Brouse <brouse at music.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> It is clear, in any case, that for these sorts of gatherings in the
> Pd community, there is still a long way to go.
>
> As an old "gauchiste", I have always believed that the ultimate goal
> for human society was for all people to be considered and treated as
> equals - in all aspects of life.
>
> I also always understood the notion of "Politically Correct'" - a
> critical term which originated in the left, but has now been co-opted
> by the right - to indicate the tendency, of some, to be more
> interested in linguistic semantics than material reality.
>
> I am interested in material reality.
> I am interested in seeing redress, actual material change  - in our
> society, in our world - for those who have been materially
> disfavoured. I do what I can to help that process along.

Sometimes this means "for members of categories with many members who have
been materially disfavoured."  In fact many white men have been materially
disfavoured, and if that's really the criteria for those deserving redress,
then include those individuals.  Otherwise, the wording is a little off.

> At the same time, there are real differences between women and men.
> There is no point trying to minimise those differences.
> Women are equal, but different.

I think all people are not equal, and they are different.  I understand what
you're saying, I think, that women are "as human" or perhaps "sovereign"...
but I don't like using the word "equal" to mean something it doesn't mean.

I don't want to cause unnecessary waves, but I think an initiative to
involve women in something like this- "like this" meaning open and free-
resembles society-building.  I guess on some things I can be libertarian.
But to whose benefit is it to push for female involvement?  Is involvement
in Pd something that makes women's lives better?  I think that your choice
of words earlier (which I snipped) was good: "enabling" women and other Pd
minorities is all good, but what if Pd just doesn't appeal to lots of
women?  It doesn't appeal to the majority of men, and definitely not to the
majority of musicians, and I don't think that bothers any of us.
I think not asking for sex/gender on the application for papers is the right
idea.  The best way to be "gender neutral" is not to make the distinction.
It seems most of the community disagrees with me; I don't mean any slight to
anyone, but this happens to be how I see the "issue".

-Chuckk

What a beautiful difference.

http://www.badmuthahubbard.com