[PD] Can you help me with this patch?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 26 19:11:04 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 18:23 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Steffen Juul hat gesagt: // Steffen Juul wrote:
>
> > >Sometimes this can be useful.
> >
> > Ok. There is no use case that pops to mind. Got one? I think that if
> > i had the need, i'd (re-)order it [t]'er-wise. To be a little risky
> > and "fresh"; I think using [delay 0] like that is "spaghetti coding".
>
> One use is the to avoid suicides. Using [delay 0] (ah, brackets again)
> was used to work around a crash when closing the gemwin from
> gemkeyboard. Another suidice is attached.
>
> Then if you have long-running [until]s that generate stack-overflows,
> you can work around this by dividing long computations into smaaller
> chunks with some [delay]s as well. Of course working around stack
> overflows this way can be even more dangerous, as is illustrated with
> the [pipe] example in attachement as well. [pipe] also act as an
> endpoint to depth first travesal just like [delay].
>
> Ciao

i once also had a use for [delay 0]. i had to open [spigot] to pass an
unkown number of messages, that all were sent in 0 logical time. since i
didn't know the number of messages beforehand, i could use [delay 0]  to
close the [spigot] again, after all messages have passed. this sounds
like a bit a wierd example, but somehow it made sense in that case.

roman