[PD] [entry] changes

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Oct 27 16:16:18 CEST 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 7:34 PM, Enrique Erne wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2007, at 4:58 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Hey all,
>>
>> The netpd project's chat interface inspired me to fix up the [entry]
>> object so that it could serve as the building block for a chat app.
>> I've added a number of improvements:
>>
>> - fixed fg/bg color bug
>> - created [add( message which allows you to add to existing text
>> - added float support to [set( and [add( messages
>> - created second outlet which outputs the keys as you type them (this
>> makes it easy to assign the enter/return key to make the box send its
>> text).
>> - made the inlet visible.
>> - added rudimentary [size x y( message
>>
>> There are a couple of things that I think would be worth adding:
>>
>> - a message to add one character at a time
>> - messages to change the font face, size, and weight
>> - messages to change the border of the box
>>
>> This is in today's auto-builds if you want to try it.
>>
>> .hc
>
> hi Hans
>
> recently i divided the chat code and gui in a testing version on
> http://www.netpd.org/NetpdGuiAbstrhacked
>
> and extended it today with an experimental skin that is using
> [entry] to replace the symbol box. i have successfully tested on
> macosx103 with http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/
> 2007-10-26/ Pd-0.40.3-extended-20071026-macosx104-powerpc.dmg
>
> the entry in the GOP didn't display, does it for you? entry-gop-
> test works fine in pd-ext-039
>
> in order to work with pd-ext i had to rename some object in chat
> and netpd-gui i.e. [l2s] to [zexy/list2symbol] or [netclient] to
> [maxlib/netclient].
> is renaming zexy , maxlib objects with namespace the correct/only
> way in pd-extended?

One thing that I forgot to add is that many aliases currently don't
work in Pd-extended.  So sometimes, you need to use full names, like
list2symbol instead of l2s.

They could be added, it's just a matter of someone doing the work :D

.hc

> if we can't load zexy objects without namespaces some(many?) netpd
> patches wouldn't work. i'm afraid the whole chain, between master-
> clock, sequencer, instrument, mixer and effects would break.
>
> netpd prototype with entry field: http://netpd.org/netpd-skin-
> entry.tgz
>
> eni

----

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom