[PD] GEM error on latest pd extended with Ubuntu Gutsy

Thomas Mayer thomas at dergrossebruder.org
Wed Oct 31 05:23:58 CET 2007

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 13:38 +0100, Thomas Mayer wrote:
>
>> Maybe the video is corrupt, have you tried transcoding the video with
>> mencoder or transcode?
>>
>> Try
>>
>> $ mencoder -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=800 -oac copy -o train.avi
>> train.mov
>>
>> and load the film train.avi
>
> hi thomas
>
> maybe i missed something, but i don't quite see why you are suggesting
> to reencode the movie to avi-container with xvid codec.

I don't have much experience with different codecs/containers and Gem,
but - as I said - my first guess is, that the movie is somehow corrupt.
So 1. reencoding the movie would be an option to check for this, 2.
mencoder is easy to install on a Linux system and 3. this is a setting
that works on my system, as mencoder with -ovc lavc produces movies,
that Gem (pd-extended 0.39-3 on Debian) can't load. That was merely an
idea for troubleshooting.

cu Thomas
--
"Prisons are needed only to provide the illusion that courts and police
are effective. They're a kind of job insurance."